Wednesday, February 20, 2013

the makings of an engagement cake.

Currently testing out one of three recipes for red velvet cake, as I prepare the engagement cake for one of closest friends.  As someone who cooks a lot and loves to cook for others it makes me feel really special to have something I make be a (small) part of someone's (especially someone I love oh so much) big day (or second biggest day as this is the engagement cake and not the wedding cake!).  

I realized in researching red velvet cakes that there are A LOT of versions out there.  I have tried many red velvet cakes in my day and most were bad but one from Betty Bakery in Brooklyn was absolutely killer. It wasn't cloyingly sweet and it had a wonderful undercurrent of cocoa powder which made me realize that all other red velvet cakes I have ever encountered were all wrong!  The cocoa powder gives it dimension.  I've spent hours trying to find a recipe that came close to mirroring this and as I mentioned above I found three that seem to come close.  Will report back this weekend/next week with the results!









Image via Pinterest.  

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such great information.
    It has help me in finding out more detail about engagement cakes near me

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete